Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 1

Thanks to the weather, I got to sleep in today.

Breakfast/Lunch- I had a shake (Inflammacool from the doctor's office) for brunch.

Snacks- I had a handful of almonds twice during the afternoon for a snack.

Dinner- It was adapted from this recipe-
http://pinchofyum.com/crockpot-chicken-wild-rice-soup#more-15365.

The original recipe-
 
Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Author:
 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup uncooked wild rice
  • 1 pound chicken breasts
  • 2 cups mirepoix
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • ½ cup butter
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • a few tablespoons white wine (optional)
  • up to 2 cups additional milk or water
 
Instructions
  1. Rinse the wild rice. Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, mirepoix, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
  2. Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
  3. When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine.
  4. Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.
 
Now, if you read what I can and cannot eat you know I had to make some adjustments. First, into the crockpot went chicken breasts (frozen), basmati rice (because I did not have wild and though why not), chicken broth and vegetable broth mix (what I had), mirepoix, and some random seasonings (because no poultry seasoning on hand). First problem- the basmati did not work so well. It pretty much cooked into mush and became a great thickener for this. It was creamy after 7 hours without needing the next steps, but I moved forward. I used ghee for butter and gluten free flour from Trader Joe's. This brought on problem two- no bubbling happened here. I watched and waited, nothing. So, I started adding some almond milk substituted for the whole milk. Bring on problem three- there was no thick, creamy mixture here. The flour would not integrate well into the almond milk. I kept whisking, the flour kept clumping. So, I decided to just add it right in to the crockpot. I added some water but it disappeared and did not change the thickness. I added more, same thing happened. Then I was too hungry to try something else so I just ate some.

 
It was not bad. It had problems, but I ate it all. There were some clumps of flour in there. There was no discernible rice. It needed salt (which I had not added). But, it was edible!
 
I won't make it this way again, ever. No way. I will experiment and try some things differently, such as actually using wild rice, not using the flour, not making it a "creamy" soup and just leaving it with a broth. For what is left, I think I will cook some rice and add it. And I already added more water and salt.
 
So, not great but not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment